Wednesday, February 29, 2012

THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE

THE GREATEST OF THESE IS LOVE is another line you may recognize from the Bible.  It's from 1st Corinthians, chapter 13, and has probably been read at almost as many weddings as "Do you take this...", your mom and dad's being no exception.  Some translations use "charity" instead of love, but I like this version a lot better.  Being an old man who has had the opportunity to sample many things, I can tell you that there is truly nothing better than loving and being loved.  In that order.  There is a movie called "Marvin's Room"  in which one of the characters , who is dying of cancer, says, "I've been lucky.  I've had so much love in my life."  The person she is talking to replies,  "Yes.  There are so many people who love you!"  She answers back, "No. I mean I have gotten to love so many people."

At your parents wedding, there was an opportunity to address the bride and groom.  When it was my turn, I said to your dad, "Try to remember, every day, that loving this woman is the most important thing you will ever do."  I believed it then and I believe it now.  Find someone who is so special to you that you cannot imagine not living the rest of your life with them and then do whatever it takes to make that happen.  Someone has said marriage isn't 50 50;  it's 100 100.  Sometimes being married takes a lot of work.  That's OK.  Things that are worth having usually do.  Do the work and reap the rewards.

 Grandma’sBriefs.com

3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful post! It reminded me so much of what my own Dad said the day that I was married -- that it isn't a 50-50 deal but more like 100-100. You are a wise man!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kc, Thank you once again for your too kind words. And thank you for sharing Amara with all of us; watching through your blog as she grows up is such a treat.

      Delete
  2. HH and I have been married 53 years. Sometimes it is 80-20,70-30 and so on. It never stays the same. When I am asked what is your advice to a long marriage I say I have none to give and no idea. I can't believe it happened either, except when we said 'I Do" we really meant it.

    ReplyDelete